Thursday 17 September 2009

"Square Foot Gardening"

Having downsized the allotment to half a regular one. (The other two halves are now being harvested by two seeming experts! I am learning much from them.) The down-sizing has resulted in a sense of being cramped - my feel for the allotment's "psychological capacity" has been diminished. So I was delighted recently to read Mel Bartholomew's "Square Foot Gardening" (2005) but the thought of making 12" square beds was daunting. Luckily a neighbour is having double-glazing installed so I now have about 15 sashes and fanlights without glass and other timber strips to make-up the 1/xth of rods that I need to create. (Allotmenteers tend to use rods and the like - rather than inches and feet or centimetres and metres.)

The book has cleverly described how I can increase capacity and reduce work (I hope it works) - I have just noticed that is what the author intends from the long title of the book which is "Square Foot Gardening _ A new way to garden in less space with less work". The book is a 18 x chapters with all kinds of gardening topics. It is written for the USA but I am able to discern much to excite the reader on this side of the Atlantic.

(It is published by Holtzbrinck Publishers ISBN 13 978-1-57954-856-8 and
ISBN 10 1-579954-856-3)

No comments:

Post a Comment