Tuesday 15 September 2009

Books For Job Clubs No 1 "Successful Manager's...

Thirteen authors have given us "Successful manager's handbook" in 864 pages! (I must admit to being a dipper on this one.) The page presentation is superb. Numbered check points run through the chapters of each Part. Each of 12 parts comprises four chapters plus an extra chapter in the first part which is on "Getting Organised". By way of illustration I briefly describe "Managing Your Career" with four chapters: 1 Mapping the Future; 2 Exploring Career Options; 3 Developing Your Career; and 4 Achieving Career Success. It does not have a bibliography but the index is extensive - about 30 pages.

Dipping to pages:
  • pp 282 -285 presents "Assessing Your Inflencing Skills" - a practical self-assessment;
  • p 542 tables "Differentiating Writing Styles"
  • p 807 gives "Indentifying Methods of Learning" with 11 items and each has the "Factors to Consider";
  • pp 826 - 829 provides "Assessing Your Career Management Skills".
The range of the book is extensive. Depth will vary with the reader and his or her range of management knowledge, skills and experience. As a boy my father gave me a book on organisation and methods and Gowers on "Plain English" - I know they served me well. How I wish he could have given me this one! It is utterly practical, relatively jargon free and the reader may interact with exercises, points to ponder, charts etc, etc, etc....
A copy or two of later editions will be on my gifts list for Christmas - probably as early presents.
Published by Dorling Kindersley Limited (2002) ISBN 978-1-4053-4155-4 http://www.dk.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment